Saturday, February 23, 2008

Thing 3. Set Up an RSS Account & Add Feeds

Reading about RSS was at first hard to understand with so much new terminology. It is like learning another language. I did find a dictionary of Web 2.0 terms at www.webopedia.com/Web_2_0, which should be helpful, but I found the video at Common Craft to be just what I needed to start. It was very simple, but well done and entertaining. I just had to show it to my husband and son who weren't familiar with RSS either. RSS is obviously a great shortcut. I chose Bloglines to set up my account. After scrolling through the Favorite Feeds, I selected three news sites and then added 6 co-worker's blogs, a political site and the Shifted Librarian. My son showed me how to copy and paste some of the URLs, but later I found some good directions in the CNET Video and Feed Me. RSS makes the web more personalized and manageable and would be a terrific time saver for anyone.

No comments: