Sunday, February 24, 2008

Thing 4. Photosharing with Flikr

The first thing I did for Thing #4 was to check out the 23 Things Flikr account, and there I recognized a co-worker on pictures from the MEMO Midwinter Conference. Then I took a peek at the Library of Congress account and know that I will want to spend a lot more time there. I absolutely love what the St. Ben's and St. John's libraries have done with the "add a note" feature. It would be awesome to be able to browse a whole library that way! The Common Craft video was, as usual, fairly simple to understand. I need a lot of that! Simple, I mean.

Even though I chose to do the first option for Thing #4, I did eventually create an account in Flikr also. That was fairly easy, and then I spent some time exploring and doing the Flikr Learn More tour. The pictures are so interesting. I think I could have too much fun looking at "just one more page", and then "just one more"! I would feel some degree of vulnerability sharing my own personal photos, I think, but that's what makes it so interesting for the viewer! I probably will limit my sharing to the occasional picture that is extremely special or has some important message to share. My teenage son uses Shutterfly to store and share our family pictures, so I'll probably leave that up to him for now. I experimented with using a few keywords and then located the picture I had in mind for my blog. I did manage to upload it, but I really didn't feel confident at each point to know where to go or what to do next. It seems like I take the long route for everything I do and probably add so many extra steps because I don't understand how to take a shortcut. Hopefully I can become more efficient, and it will go more smoothly each time.

Just one more thing. I have discovered another one of those "unintended consequences", and it's a good one. While I am doing my 23 Things on a Stick I get so absorbed in it that I don't even think about snacking! No mindless eating. Wow! I wonder how long that will last.

No comments: