Friday, April 11, 2008

Thing 20. Libraries and Social Networks

I chose to register with Facebook in part because I've heard that it is more private than MySpace, but also because my son is a member of Facebook, and he is allowing me to be his friend! I also "friended" with another homeschool mom. I put a few names into the search and thiink I found a long-lost friend from the early '80's! She and her family had moved to another state, and then another, and we had lost contact with them. So, now we'll see if she wants to "friend" with me!

I filled out a profile to a certain degree and will perhaps submit a photo eventually. Only "friends" are able to see my profile, and I like that, but there are other privacy options that I may want to apply also. Several groups sound interesting to me, but for now I just joined the Library 2.0 Interest Group. I added a message to the Discussion Board and wrote on my son's wall too.

I'm not sure what to think of some of the motivation to being on Facebook. For example, what's the point of having 1433 friends on Facebook? Is that just an ego trip or what?

I did some more Facebook searches and was surprised to find my older brother, so maybe we can be friends as well as siblings!

No comments: