Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Thing 11. Tagging and Del.icio.us

I started out Thing 11 by adding tags to two of my posts. It was hard to know what words to use when I don't know yet what I may be using them for. But they can be changed later. Also, Del.icio.us has suggested tags.

I watched the video podcast and also read through the "Seven Things You Should Know About Social Bookmarking", which I thought was very helpful. Comparing the methods of the two professors makes it easy to see the benefits of tagging and book marking. It is so much more efficient than just starting from scratch and googling, but it will take awhile to break the old habits.

I thought the San Mateo Library Del.icio.us site was interesting because it had its bookmarks organized by the dewey system. That would be great for library users doing research but will require a lot of new thinking for everyone.

I did set up a Del.icio.us account along with the bookmarklets. Now I will try to get the habit of using it. Like with a lot of things, in order to be more efficient, it takes more time at first.

No comments: