Thursday, March 13, 2008

Thing 7. Web 2.0 Communication Tools

Our library uses email as an alternative choice for our users to be notified of their holds. It would seem to be more productive in that it communicates to those patrons in their preferred manner. We assume that they get the message faster since they likely check their email more often than an answering machine. It certainly is a step up from having to send a card in the mail because a phone number is no longer in service. Also, our reference librarian does receive and respond to a fair amount of email.

I didn't find any Instant Messaging going on in our library, but hopefully that will change soon! For now, I got set up with Google Talk to chat with my son and a couple of his friends. I added my sister-in-law also, but she likely doesn't recognize my username. I will have to call or email her to clue her in to accept me as a Google Talk friend. I had trouble getting started by using the Google Talk link. It's not obvious what to do next. A faster way to go is to go to http://google.com/talk and then the Launch Google Talk Gadget. There is no download required. It took me awhile to locate the place to type a message since it is at the very bottom of the page.

By the way, yesterday my feeds on Bloglines were GONE, and I can't understand why that would be. Are they lost forever or just hiding somewhere? I added them all, again, plus a few more, and am hoping that it doesn't continue to happen.

No comments: