Monday, March 24, 2008

Thing 13. Online Productivity Tools

I decided to use iGoogle for my start page and spent A LOT of time selecting various gadgets to add to it. It took awhile to get it all downloaded on the page, and then I had to rearrange them of course. I have cat photos, dog photos, weather, lots of news and polical stuff, a Bible verse for the day, DVD releases, a language translator, a currency converter, and an Eiffel Tower Mini Cam. Note that the last three may be part of a plan, or at least a dream. And in case you missed it, my birthday Countdown gidget is right here on my blog! I haven't made my iGoogle page my permanent home page since I share this computer with other family members, but I have my list of Favorites and that works just fine.

I took a look at the calendars on "The Web's Best Calendar" and also 30 Boxes. Some were easier to get to than others, and the Backpack calendar wasn't free. All together I have signed up for a lot of sites, especially in this Thing. Will there be any reason that I may regret that? I can see where this type of calendar would be good for sharing in a work or even family situation, however I was looking for something that would simply combine my personal calendar and To Do list. I don't need time slots since most of my tasks are just needing to get done during that day (or occasionally put off until tomorrow!). I signed up for a Ta-da list account but wasn't crazy about it. I also found that iGoogle has a Todo Gadget, but it only has room for a few items. So..., I googled calendars and found that Brown Bear software at www.calendars.net was more appropriate for my needs. Unlike the others, the days on the monthly calendar in Brown Bear expand to include as many items as necessary, so they are always visible. No need to click to look behind the scenes. They are right in my face! No excuses. I may find something even better later, but for now I think it will work.

Without a doubt I have spent more time on this Thing than any other, but I am quite certain that it will be a great help to me. There is just so much potential here to organize, organize, organize, and I love my iGoogle page!

No comments: