Friday, March 28, 2008

Thing 15. Online Games and Libraries

Second Life is an amazing creation, a 3-D virtual world that includes library services online in game format. I joined Second Life first, rather than Puzzle Pirates, because it appeared to be the more "adult" choice. I was able to take the tour of Info Island, and as we passed by the beach, I had like a deja vu experience. I am quite sure that the Info Island beach is the location of my avatar! No kidding! Really. Needless to say, I felt quite at home. I was intrigued with the concept of the virtual community and wanted to proceed further into Second Life but was unable to fully download it. Second Life seems like a very fun and inviting way to explore library resources.

Next, I decided to try Puzzle Pirates and set up an account there. I started the game at the Bilge Duty Station and although I successfully completed the mission three times, I remained at the "learning" stage. Even so, I presumptiously assumed myself to be ready for the Navigation Duty Station and was told that, as a novice, I didn't belong there. Embarrassing! OK, so I went on over to the Carpentry Duty Station and did manage to complete one "masterpiece" work. Alas, I never did get past the "learning" stage there either. Someday I'll give it another try, but probably stick to the bilge duty until I get good at that. I was surprised to see that there were over 3700 Puzzle Pirate players online at the same time as I was.

No comments: